July 28th, 2011 by Poppy Bud
I was so tore about what to do for our unity candle. I didn’t want to spend $$ for a candle that, although very symbolic, was only going to be lit for a few minutes. To add to that, I had no idea how to make this project DIY. Numerous times had I looked up ideas online, but nothing really caught my eye. Then the other day when I was writing a post about making my wedding stationary and continuing the same fonts and decorative elements throughout all my wedding items it hit me like a ton of bricks. Use the items that you’ve already picked out because you like them so much! In a matter of seconds I had a design to place on the plain ivory candles I had purchased. Here’s the finished product:
This was a seriously cheap DIY wedding project – here’s the breakdown.
- Ivory pillar candle – $4, on sale for $2
- 2 ivory taper candles – $0.99 each, on sale for $0.99 for the pair
- glass candlestick – $7.99, sale for $3.99
- 2 glass candlesticks -$5.99 each, on sale for $5.99 for the pair
- 1 sheet vellum – free, on hand
- 8 pearl sewing pins – free, on hand
- ribbon – free, left over from other wedding projects
That comes to a grand total of $12.97. A purchased unity candle designs costs $20 and up, that’s not including the stands…which can run another $20. Do I even need to do the math? I will anyway…that’s at least a $27.03 savings! And better yet, it matches EVERYTHING I’ve already done!